Whenever I have an idea, I usually try to think up a good domain for it. Sometimes I am able to, but it can be tough these days!
This is my current collection of domain names. Below, I’ve linked them to either a functioning site or the corresponding Ideas page on this blog. If there is no link, it means that I haven’t yet had the time to build anything or write about it yet.
- AUSTINVSBOSTON.COM (#TeamAustin group page and Leaderboard, developed for Movember contest)
- CAFEBEDOUINS.COM (a loose band of cafe dwelling coffee swilling web workers in Austin, but chapters have spread to Dallas and Fort Worth as well!)
- DOESFOLLOW.COM (utility: who follows whom on Twitter)
- RAFFLR.COM (Simple raffle site, with some help from Shane Sherman and Brian Deterling)
- OBAMAFTW.ORG (this was the site where Bruce Williams and we collected some photos and videos from our journey to see then candidate Barack Obama accept the nomination for the Presidency. One of the coolest experiences of my life, no doubt. The site is currently dead, although I’d like to revive it.
- SNAPTWEET.COM (Easy Flickr Twitter picture posting, launched in 2008)
- SNAPTWEETS.COM (alias for SnapTweet for people who can’t type or otherwise enjoy the plural form)
- SXSWTWITS.COM (currently dormant until SXSW 2011 – I usually figure out something fun to do with the twits during SXSW and host it here ; this year (2010) I created the Hyperlocal Geolocation Wars leaderboard for fun (with help from @maczter on the artwork) ; When Gowalla/4sq launched at SXSW (2009), I made a somewhat (in)accurate location tracker that parsed English tweets identifying locations in Austin and did automatic checkins. Hey, it kinda worked, actually, but not too many people knew about it.)
- WHEREBEYOU.COM (converts lat/long coordinates that some Twitter clients put in the Location field into a U.S. City/State)
FOLLOWTOOLS.COM (Generic site name for follower management tools)
SQUEAKYAPP.COM (Mac Desktop scrubber)